Saturday, August 8, 2015

Tando Sponsor Spotlight No.1


Hi Everyone, 

          Jan here to welcome you to our first Spotlight 


                                on Tando Creative for August!






I was really excited to receive a Mechanical Book Cover Kit, Screws, Locks and Keys and was all set for a Steampunk themed book.

                                                 BUT

When I took it out of the packaging I imagined a porthole, a shipwreck and a mermaid!



                                                                                                              Sooooooo........





I started playing with my Dylusions Sprays in shades of blue then added a Sparkle of Perfect Pearls.
Bubbles were needed for the mermaid so I used a TH thinlets die and put Grunge Paste through. When it was dry I re sprayed. I love the sparkling, shimmer of the ocean!




The shipwreck wood was next for treatment. Everything had a coat of white gesso to start. I sanded, cut planks, scored and roughened the board. I used my Prima distressing tool mainly for this job. The first coat of paint was Iced Spruce DP, then Black Antiquing Medium from DecoArt, dabbed off with a baby wipe.



These are the paints and the Prima tool I used, with the baby wipe and the spine of the book.



The next layer was to be eroded metal. I dabbed a layer of Texture Sand, DecoArt, then Quinacradon Gold Paint when the paste was dry. (This is that stage in the photo.)The Antiquing Medium was painted on then wiped off until I was happy with the look. A touch of green Treasure Gold gave a hint of old copper patina.





I stamped some Prima seaweed with Black Archival around the edges to give the impression that the wreck was on the sea floor and had been there some time.



The Prima mermaid was stamped with Archival onto tracing paper then coloured with Distress Pens. I put white on the back because the colours were not as bright as I wanted them to be.



Finally I put the front cover together with Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue and used clamps to hold all the layers together until dry. The board certainly held up to rough handling and didn't warp!



This is a work in progress, the back cover is distressed like the shipwreck. I am planning to create a sea side photo book for my Granddaughter and will assemble the book when I have collected all this years photos.

I hope you enjoyed looking at the stages, it was a fun project. 

There is plenty of time to join in the summer challenge at



                                             Mexican Moods

7 comments:

  1. Heheheh - wow - this is FABULOUS. Love the mermaid thru the porthole.... what a great imagination you have Jan. This just makes me smile - so fun and soooooo LOVELY too. Happy weekend. j.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joi, so pleased you smiled, I really enjoyed making it! X

      Delete
  2. Jan, this is a seafarer's delight!! I can totally envision an old rustic wooden ship, calmly sailing along, then Thar She Blows!! It's not a dolphin--it's not a whale--It's a mermaid coming to wish us all safe & creative travels!! I LOVE this!! Soooo fun!! Fabulous transformation of the Tando Creative Book Cover Kit!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shari! I was pleased how she turned out in the end! X

      Delete
  3. Such a nice artwork you created, the rust and deep blue look so wonderful together. I like it so much.
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a fantastic transformation, love the color scheme and the underwater theme!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh - this is fantastic, Jan!
    I am still on my catching-up mission and am glad I didn't miss this amazing project of yours! Absolutely brilliant and very inspiring! Wow!
    Thanks bunches for sharing!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx